The USDA 2007 Census of Agriculture has good and bad news for Montana versus 2002.
- Good: Number of farms is up 6%
- Good: Land in Farms is up 3%
- Bad: Average farm size is down 3%
- Very Good: Market value of production is way up 49%
- Bad: Average age of farmers is up 57.8 years compared to 55.7 in 2002
- Good: 63 % of farms have internet access
- Bad: Cost of farming is up, gas, fertilizer, livestock, etc.
- Good: Value of land and buildings more than doubled to $47.6 billion.
- Good? Number of acres in apricots more than doubled, from 6 to 15.